Monday, June 23, 2014

INTRODUCING THE REAL PACIFIC MADRONA & ITS VERY PERSONAL STORY !

 THIS IS THE MADRONA IN OUR FRONT YARD THAT INSPIRES ME DAILY.  THIS IS IT’S STORY;-) REALLY ,REALLY, REALLY
IT DOES TALK TO ME!


My name is Pacific Madrona because I live on the Pacific Northwest Coast of North America. I need sunlight, South-West exposure, dry rocky soils and proximity to the ocean.  
Because Douglas Fir are bigger and forest fire prevention is so efficient, I do not have much chance to re-seed. Worse yet  I am not being as protected as I need to be so my numbers are dwindling dramatically!  

My beautiful orange berries feed many different birds and  new shoots in the spring feed the coastal wildlife. I am used in fireplaces for heating homes as I burn very hot and  Fibre Artists use both my bark and leaves to dye silk and cotton. 
Although I have European & Canary Island cousins called Strawberry Trees I am much more dramatic in the way and colour my most beautiful,curling  bark changes from silver-grey  to  reveal a gorgeous,fascinating shaped copper bark underneath.This rust bark in turn explodes off me during the summer to uncover the most amazing green  bark underneath!  

My Beauty is renowned so when you visit the Pacific North-West come and visit me!”




THE REAL BARK CLOSE UP!
This is the Madrona bark that inspires me.  The green bark is the new bark with the rust layer getting “blown” off—-literally falling off the tree.  I collect this bark and use it to dye silk as I found it doesn’t work that well with cotton.  





This is my piece that was honoured by bring published on one of Kathyanne White's June newsletters.

www.kathyannewhite.com
Kathyanne has many websites but this will get you started.

Madrona #5 has returned from a  
Fibre Art Network (FAN)
 two year travelling exhibit.  To see the entire exhibit and more visit the website :

 www.fibreartnetwork.com

This website has all their gorgeous,inspiring,original shows including the current ones.  












No comments: